Jem Bendell is the author of Deep Adaptation, a philosophical framework created to develop a humane response to climate apocalypse. Bendell is notable for his uncompromising intellect, emotional sensitivity, and spiritual awareness.
- The Love in Deep Adaptation
by Jem Bendell, March 2019 – Blog post
- A summary of the core concepts of Deep Adaptation. A good introduction to the philosophy, along with guidelines for the establishment of the public forums in which it is discussed.
- Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating Climate Tragedy
by Jem Bendell, July 27, 2018 – PDF
- The original paper defining Deep Adaptation, downloaded more than half a million times. Though aimed at a specific academic community, Bendell captures aspects of the universal human condition when confronting climate apocalypse.
- Acceptance & Evolution in the Face of Meltdown
by Jem Bendell with Amisha Ghadiali, The Future is Beautiful Podcast, December 23, 2018 – Podcast
- An hour-long dialogue, in which Jem speaks about: the origin of Deep Adaptation, his personal history and spiritual journey, and the emotional implications of facing collapse. A transcript of this interview is available.
- Hope and Vision in the Face of Collapse
by Jem Bendell, January 9, 2019 – Blog post
- A philosophical excursion into the roots and meaning of Deep Adaptation, including the spiritual implications.
- Deep Adaptation Q&A at Lithuanian festival
by Jem Bendell, moderated by Simona Va, July 4, 2019 – PDF
- A transcript of a video question-and-answer session with a small group at a “forest festival” in Lithuania. In engaging and accessible language, Jem speaks about topics which are central to the philosophy and practice of Deep Adaptation: practical and spiritual adaptation, the effect of climate breakdown on human civilization, the importance of Extinction Rebellion, the value of intentional communities, consciousness in the cosmos, and more. The video (with connection problems) is here.
- Because It’s Not a Drill: Technologies for Deep Adaptation to Climate Chaos
by Jem Bendell, May 13, 2019 – PDF
- Most useful in this paper is the section called “Our Climate Predicament,” on pages 2-5 of the PDF. Bendell lays out the latest evidence that climate change is out of our control. Also of interest is the following section “Awareness May Help, But Not Solve,” in which Bendell discusses the political and psychological barriers to changes in social and economic systems that could reduce suffering during collapse.
- Bendell’s blog, with new publications and announcements.